Thursday, March 31, 2011

luke turns ONE (part 2)

After the afternoon of swimming at the pool, we can home, took a little rest & started gearing up for the birthday party. We invited our teammates & honorary grandparents, Randy & Susan, as well as our dear national friends & honorary aunt & uncle, Biba & Cephas.


GB helped prep the fixin's for the burgers he would be grilling that evening.



I've always wanted to make the hamburger cupcakes I saw on Bakerella many moons ago & this was the perfect occasion. A grill out birthday party is complimented very well by desserts that look like burgers! The tops & bottoms are yellow cupcakes, the "burger" is a brownie & the condiments & lettuce are different colored layers of frosting.



I also wanted Luke to have an actual cake (even though he didn't eat it) & my parents brought Mickey birthday plates & napkins, so that decided the cake theme. I had extra brownies leftover from the cupcakes, so I just arranged them to look like a Mickey silouhette.



As guests started to arrive, Luke was a little anxious so he went to his Bebe for comfort!



We are so blessed to have friends here who love our children! Susan & Biba are so dear to our family!



GB was volunteered, once again, to be the grill master & cooked up some mean burgers & dogs for the festivities.



Cephas & Biba love our kids and our kids love them! Outside of family (Mark, myself & grandparents), Luke is only comfortable with 2 other people: Issa (our house helper) & Cephas. It does a mama's heart good to know that there are at least 2 other people in this country who my son will NOT cry with!



We gave everyone their own bottle of Fanta & used it as place cards! Even Izzy got a big girl drink!



Luke enjoyed his birthday grill out bash & especially devoured the baked beans!



After we ate, we sang to the birthday boy & then began to watch him take hold of his very first piece of cake ... or burger cupcake, as it was. He wasn't sure of it at first but then he took it apart & saw the frosting & that was it!



He was so excited. He kept looking at us like, "Can I really eat this? Is this for me?"



"Yes sir, it is for you! Have at it!" And he did ... fist full by fist full he ate that WHOLE thing in no time!



Izzy got her cupcake & thought we were supposed to sing to her, too. She said, "Mommy, my turn. Sing to me now." Bless her heart! She loves birthdays & the idea of birthday cakes & has been talking about her birthday cake for 6 months. She already tells people she's 3 because she wants her birthday to be here SO bad!



I am not lying, y'all, when I tell you that Luke devoured his brownie part of the cupcake in 3 bites!



And he was SO happy to have eaten all that yummy cake & sugar!



But got quite upset when there was no more!







I just love my son so much & cannot believe that he's already a year old!! Time, can you just please slow down for a little bit?

No comments: